Tools for sustainable and energy-efficient design
REM/Design™ Version History
REM/Design™ software is DOE-approved for use in the Weatherization Assistance Program for all states. The following Chronology details enhancements to the software starting with newest version.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v14.1 include:
- Created new Tax Credit report based on RESNET Publication 13-001.
- Updated clothes washer defaults for ENERGY STAR washers.
- Other Minor Repairs:
- Corrected the North Carolina UA Calculations for above grade walls.
- Corrected a bug with exterior roof area in Simplified Inputs.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v14.0 include:
- Added autofill button for Sealed Attic “Roof Area” input, to autocalc Attic exterior area based on “Ceiling Area”. Also added Error for values less than Ceiling Area, and Warning for large improbable values.
- Export database is now forward compatible.
- ASHP – added an error when the capacity of the 17F heat pump is above that of the 47F capacity.
- Simplified Inputs – updated code if an infiltration setting is code default or user input, the verify type is Visual rather than Tested.
- Batch Modification – added modification based on location.
- Building File Name Field and Building Model Field increased size to 50 characters.
- Added a new Reporting Tool and logo selection dialog.
- IECC Certificate & Tax Credit – added sealed attic to the report.
- Added NY Labels to Batch
- Removed Mailing Labels, ASHRAE 90.2, Energy Code Compliance.
- Other Minor Repairs:
- Fixed bug where the exterior attic roof area is set to zero. This error was missed in v13.0
- Fixed bug with IECC verification set to Visual Verification.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v13.0 include:
- Added RESNET Amendment for demand hot water heater efficiency adjustment.
- Added State Energy Codes for Illinois and North Carolina.
- Added "Sealed Attics" to Ceiling Types.
- Added PV consumption to the Fuel Summary Report.
- Added Above Grade Shell Area to Quick Analysis.
- Added ENERGY STAR v3.0 Certificate.
- Added routine to determine the energy factor of a water heater in UDRH based on volume.
- Other Minor Repairs:
- Multifamily buildings with ceiling fans and dishwashers consumption too high.
- NV Energy Plus Fuel Summary report bug in batch mode.
- Building File report not showing correct ceiling types.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.99 include:
- Reset button for RESNET defaults in Lights and Appliances Summary Screen.
- Preset selections for the Clothes Washer inputs.
- Other Minor Repairs:
- Improvement Analysis bug showing 0 savings for duct leakage measures.
- Old defaults for Clothes Washer Annual Gas Cost set correctly to 23 if previously had 32 from wrong setting in earlier versions.
- Setting RESNET Defaults for Lights and Appliances for ENERGY STAR v3.0 reference home rather than letting them be the same as design home.
- PSD First Energy Export and Thermostat bugs.
- Auxiliary Energy not being set correctly in HERS Reference Home for furnaces.
- ENERGY STAR v3.0:
- Updated ceiling fan inputs and codes.
- Removed envelope checkbox in Mandatory Requirements screen Updated code for Revision 5.
- LIGHTS AND APPLIANCES:
- Changed the minimum value for the clothes washer LER to 10.
- Corrected washer and dryer values in calculations.
- Changed default dryer efficiency to gas value when gas is selected.
- Added Duct Leakage Measure to Batch File Modification.
- Added Duct Leakage Test Exemption for Duct Leakage to Outside.
- Other Minor Repairs:
- Fixed a bug in the dishwasher energy factor Fixed a bug when a home contains a conditioned crawlspace with adiabatic foundation walls for ESv2.5 and v3.0. reference home. This caused an error in the ESv2.5 and ESv3.0 reference home.
- Fixed a bug in multifamily buildings that actually produced negative internal gains.
- Fixed a problem in Lights and Appliances Audit tab not displaying the associated type correctly when first created.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.97 include:
- Steel stud wall U-values are now calculated using the ASHRAE Zone method.
- Checkbox added to Mandatory Requirements for ESv3.0 to indicate all insulation levels meet or exceed Table 402.1.1 in 2009 IECC. (Overrides the Table 402.1.3 method used in REM calculations).
- Lights & Appliances screen completely updated for all new RESNET Miscellaneous Electric Loads (MELs) calculations. Audit (“detailed”) inputs moved to another tab on L&A screen.
- Photovoltaic screen now allows for multiple arrays facing different directions.
- Energy Star Version 3.0 Home Report and Summary added.
- Batch Report now prioritizes showing the filename and truncates the path if necessary, rather than vice versa.
- Added NY Compliance Labels.
- Total Duct Leakage added to appropriate reports.
- Other Minor Repairs:
- Fixed bug which incorrectly calculated internal gains for ceiling fans.
- Quick Analysis Printed Report was missing IECC 2012.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.96 include:
- Added 2012 IECC Compliance Reports.
- Added Total Duct Leakage to the duct screen and reformatted the screen.
- NY IECC – removed the Energy Star Logo and the logic for code.
- Other minor repairs:
- Fixed the problem with the registration not sticking when REM expires.
- Fixed a bug where adiabatic rims were being added to UA for Walls in the UA reports.
- Corrected Aux energy for cooling.
- IECC Certificate – Border was being overwritten and offsets were not working - both fixed.
- Fixed spacing issues in the Air Leakage Report when using a logo.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.94 include:
- New Fannie Mae EIM Report in Improvement Analysis - Fannie Mae New Homes Report removed as requested by Fannie Mae and RESNET.
- Added clay or cement tile roofing and sub-tile ventilation to the roofing inputs.
- Other minor repairs:
- Duct leakage calculations for multiple duct systems with CFM25/CFA setting have been corrected.
- Corrected the basement wall U-value for IECC Reference Homes in Climate Zone 3.
- Corrected the UA calculations for basement and crawlspace walls when the foundation type is "More than one Type".
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.93 include:
- ENERGY STAR Version 2.5 Upgrades
- Duct leakage is checked for each system
- Windows and Skylights removed from the envelope UA calculation
- Added a field for conditioned floor area served for each duct system
- Allow credit for adjacent shading for IECC and HERS Ratings
Note: REM/Design can show if a home achieves ENERGY STAR but does not allow official ENERGY STAR certifications.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.91 include:
- NYS Energy Code now reflects the 2009 IECC
- Quick Analysis printing error fixed
- Increased maximum number of bedrooms for multifamily
- Increased maximum number of units for multifamily
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.9 include:
- Full Building XML Import
- Added Shelter Class to Infiltration Inputs
- Added pump and fan fields for heat pumps in heating and cooling libraries
- Batch file modification additions
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.84 include:
- Repaired the building file association. Clicking on REM building files will use the latest version of REM Software.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.8 include:
- Utility Bill Disaggregation and Weather Normalization
- Added Lights and Appliances to Simplified Inputs
- Improved sizing calculations for air source heat pumps
- Added new GSHP auxiliary energy requirements
- New docked Quick Analysis showing colors on changes
- Reset menu layout command to return undocked window panes to default settings
- UDRH command to calculate same window area as the HERS Reference Home
- Ability to specify thermal boundary for unconditioned basements and crawlspaces
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.7 include:
- 2009 IECC Reports and Certificate
- Added an Export database
- Added Organization input screen for Retro-FIT Report
- Added location for adiabatic foundation walls
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.6 include:
- New Home Owner's Retro-FIT report in Improvement Analysis
- Updated emissions to EPA eGRID 2006 data
- New data fields for builder and rating organization information
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.5 include:
- Implemented RESNET® Mechanical Ventilation interpretation
- Implemented RESNET® F-factor amendment
- Library control with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Sort
- Buildings load with temporary libraries that are discarded or saved when building is closed
- Added 2006 IECC Compliance Certificate and Label
- Added winter and summer demand to the Fuel Summary report
- Other minor enhancements and repairs:
- Added Evacuated Tube solar collectors
- Allow mouse wheel scrolling in report preview
- New error dialog box, separate from report previewer
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.4 include:
- Added 2006 IECC Compliance Certificate
- New software registration process to facilitate download and instant purchase.
- Updated EPA ENERGY STAR® Thermal Bypass Checklist.
- Other minor enhancements and repairs:
- Version number reported when opening older building files
- Mechanical ventilation rate checked per ASRHAE 62.2
- Repaired ASHRAE Standard 152 default fan flow
- Repaired title bar problem
- Corrected Wrightsoft RSR import issues
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.2 include:
- Inclusion of latest interpretation from RESNET® regarding infiltration shielding class. This modification affects the energy use, code compliance and other results.
- Other minor enhancements and repairs
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.1 include:
- Finalized Tax Credit Report for new homes per Energy Policy Act of 2005
- 2006 IECC compliance reports
- New menus which are more intuitive and easier to navigate
- Additional requirements and Thermal Bypass Checklist in support of the 2006 EPA Energy STAR® Home program
- Lights and appliances added to the Batch File Modification feature
- And many other minor enhancements and repairs
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v12.0 include:
- The 2006 EPA Energy STAR® Home requirements
- A Tax Credit Report per DOE's draft interim rule regarding the Energy Policy Act of 2005 credits for new homes
- A new spreadsheet data entry form that allows users to enter and store tabular and calculated data of their choosing
- Batch file modification has been augmented to include infiltration, duct leakage, programmable thermostats, and builder's address
- New duct system input scheme, including new leakage types: % fan flow and cfm25/sf
- Logos can now be added to nearly all reports
- Many other minor enhancements and repairs
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v11.4 include:
- IECC 2004 compliance reports have been added
- Data can now be imported from Elite's RHVAC Manual J equipment sizing software
- The Quick Analysis screen now includes surface area and code compliance summaries
- ASHRAE 62.2 ventilation standards have been added to Air Leakage Report
- The notes dialog is now sizable and can be toggled to always appear at program startup
- Electric resistance backup capacity has been added as input for heat pumps
- SIP and ICF construction have been added to the above-grade wall library
- A locking scheme was added to the component libraries, allowing them, for the first time, to be fully shared on a central server
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v11.31 include:
- New online help system runs much faster
- Utility rates added to batch file modification feature
- Worst-case orientation feature added to toolbar for faster access
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v11.3 include:
- New feature that automatically determines the worst case window/skylight orientation
- More options for specifying the cost of foundation wall improvement measures
- Reorganized Building File Report
- Above-grade wall screen now has multi-select capability
- Additional language on performance-based code compliance reports indicating percentage by which home surpasses code
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v11.2 include:
- The new Batch File Modification feature replaces a library component or components in a group of buildings and saves the buildings to a different location than the original files.
- Code compliance reports have been added for the 2003 IECC - for both Uo and performance-based approaches
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v11.1 include:
- Window shading inputs have been expanded to explicitly address overhangs, interior blinds/shades, and shading from adjacent objects (e.g., trees)
- The ability to model energy recovery ventilators (ERVs) has been added. The mechanical ventilation inputs are aligned with the information available from Home Ventilation Institute (HVI) test data and directories
- Code compliance reports have been added for the 2001 IECC - for both Uo and performance-based approaches
- A new report, the Air Leakage Report, summarizes the infiltration, duct leakage and mechanical ventilation inputs in a new and useful way
- The Emissions Report was added to report the absolute CO2, SO2, and NOx emissions for the home
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v11.0 include:
- New Builder Affidavit report - provides a signature line for the builder to attest that the home has been built per the details in the Building File Report
- New Energy Code Inspection Checklist report - designed for use by code officials inspecting the home for energy code compliance
- Report margins can be adjusted to aid in alignment for binding
- A new button that allows all windows to be rotated at once, helping the user determine the worst case scenario
- A new button that calculates default duct area
- A note field has been added to all library element input screens
- Radiant barrier added to list of improvements available in Improvement Analysis
- Mobile home skirting added to list of available crawlspace wall constructions
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v10.3 include:
- Capability has been added to model grid-connected photovoltaic systems.
- The error and warning messages have been revised to provide more specific direction on how to find and address data input problems.
- A new Building Name input field has been added allowing the user to provide a name, different from the file name, which can be used to identify the building. The Building Name field is printed on all output reports.
- Numerous home features have been added to the lists highlighting the performance characteristics of the home, including duct leakage, duct location, programmable thermostats, radiant barriers, and desuperheaters.
- Heating degree-days and cooling degree-hours have been added to the Model Energy Code, International Energy Conservation Code, and ASHRAE Standard 90.2 compliance reports as appropriate.
- A new Work Order Report is available for use by those involved in weatherization and other retrofit programs. The report is generated automatically in conjunction with the Improvement Analysis Report and lists the recommended measures in a format suitable for use by a field crew implementing them.
- Column widths in the component lists are now preserved from session to session.
- Quick Report data can be sent to a comma-separated variable text file, complete with data labels, for use in other applications.
- Data presented on the Batch Report is also written to a comma-separated variable text file for importing to spreadsheets, etc.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v10.2 include:
- Capability has been added making it easier to model mobile homes, including new input screens for ceiling and floor libraries that reflect construction techniques unique to these types of homes.
- Users can now input auxiliary electric consumption for gas furnaces and boilers.
- New features have been added to help organizations manage the component libraries, including the ability to use a single library set located on a central server, and to restrict editing of libraries or library entries.
- The duct leakage improvement measure has been expanded to handle qualitative assessment of duct leakage.
- The default framing factors for walls, ceiling and floors have been updated to reflect the findings of current research.
- A quantity of like mechanical systems can be specified, greatly improving the capability to model large multi-family buildings.
- A small change to the library access interface makes adding and selecting new entries a snap.
- A new Utility Bill Reconciliation report compares predicted energy use to actual utility bills.
Enhancements in REM/Design™ v10 include:
- The greatest change for v10 is the migration from a 16-bit application developed using Borland C++ to a 32-bit application developed in Microsoft Visual C++. You'll notice a different overall appearance of the application, the use of toolbars, acceptance of long filenames, and greater speed . REM/Design™ v10 will run on computers with Windows 95, 98, NT, and 2000.
- Instead of separate heating, cooling and hot water system lists, there is now a single list. User's no longer need to enter integrated heating/cooling or heating/hot water systems in two places.
- Air-source heat pump and integrated space/water heating system libraries have been added.
- Lighting and appliance section overhauled. A detailed audit of all lights and appliances can be performed, or default values can be used.
- A toolbar has been added for quick access to the most commonly used feature.
- Interfacing with the libraries is now easier than ever. A single screen displays both the list of library elements and the details of the selected element. A new button provided on every input screen makes access to the library quick and easy.
- New HTML-based help system with search capability